Monday, June 13, 2011

Ding! Dong! The Carpet is Gone!

Can you believe I'm posting twice in one week?!? One week into summer break and I've just got a small case of cabin fever.

So, onto today's post. THE CARPET IS GONE! All the nasty, dingy, staple-filled, wall-to-wall carpet (that Grandmother was so proud of) has been ripped out of the house. Underneath are beautiful oak floors full of staples and just waiting for someone to love them. Everytime we mention to Grandmother how beautiful the wood floors are she just stares at us and says, "I don't understand why you would want those old wood floors. They aren't even very good quality. I just loved my wall-to-wall carpeting." She views the wood floors as "working class floors." I have to remember that 50 years ago almost everyone had wood floors and wall-to-wall carpet was the ideal.

But carpet just kind of grosses me out. Maybe its because I have a toddler, two dogs, and a cat but I just can't help thinking of all the little microrganisms breeding under the surface of carpeting. They just never seem clean to me. I can vacuum every day and carpet scrub once a month and I still feel like it's just dirty.

Anyway, we ripped carpet out of the living room, dining room, two bedrooms, and the hallway. I feel so much better about the entire space. It was the end of the day and we just wanted to get it over with so we just started ripping and rolling. You've heard me complain about the staples in the living room, dining room and one of the bedrooms. Well they continued through the hallway. When we got into the back bedroom, however, the carpet changed from beige to blue. And guess what...no really...guess...oh all right I'll tell you, better yet, I'll show you.

Instead of that nasty composite foam stuff, there was this. Equally nasty but not stapled down to the floor (insert squeal of excitement). I'm guessing it was once foamy and cushiony but now it is brittle and flat. It was just laying on the floor like that. We were able to just pick it up and neatly roll it inside the carpet.

And here's what we were left with...

Ahh...


5 comments:

  1. it is so funny to think no one wanted those hard woods exposed. crazy! they look fantastic, what a nice dark color!

    we have lighter oak, and they are parquet which i actually find kind of fun. i looove yours, tho!

    you should link your email to the blog, so that when you comment, it's easy to respond to that comment. i know not how to describe what to do, so sorry.

    your summer plans sound fun on the lake, and you definitely have your hands full on the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We think the wood will be super beautiful when we're all done. Unfortunately, when they painted the walls, they didn't cover the floor so there's a few splatters.

    I've been trying to figure out this reply to comments thing but I'm still pretty new to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for easily removable layers of protective crap :o) Your floors are gorgeous! Good thing the PO covered them up just to preserve them for you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try"Goof off" if it's Latex paint. Our contractor recommended it and it works like a charm, even on old splatters :o)

    ReplyDelete